Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Data Visualization for Decision Making
Want to talk about today's webinar? Leave your comments and questions here:
I loved Lindsay Hanson's comment that data visualization "leverages our visual memory."
Looking forward to answering any questions you have about our presentation today!
(03-13-2019, 01:48 PM)jane.martel Wrote: I loved Lindsay Hanson's comment that data visualization "leverages our visual memory."

Thanks Jane! I love that description too!

Jen Nelson asked a question today about whether our organizations have data management policies and I said that we'd get to it at the end of the webinar but we ran out of time. So sorry! Another great reason for this forum :-) 

Sno-Isle doesn't have a "data management" policy as of yet. Two of our policies do touch on data, however: our confidentiality policy and our privacy policy. We have talked internally for a while now about creating a data governance board that could provide oversight and assist with decision-making, but have not yet made much headway. We have a bit of an informal data governance group (basically the folks that are brought into a decision when something arises), but it would be better to be more proactive. A lot of what we do is because "we've always done it that way" and is not based on being able to inform decisions down the road. Seattle Public Library has done some work along these lines so it might be good to reach out to them. David Christensen is a fellow RIPLer (is that what we call ourselves?!) and would be a good person to ask. 

Does anyone else work for an organization who has done something like this?
Thanks Lindsay, that's helpful. Jen
(03-13-2019, 04:43 PM)Lhanson Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 01:48 PM)jane.martel Wrote: I loved Lindsay Hanson's comment that data visualization "leverages our visual memory."

Thanks Jane! I love that description too!

Jen Nelson asked a question today about whether our organizations have data management policies and I said that we'd get to it at the end of the webinar but we ran out of time. So sorry! Another great reason for this forum :-) 

Sno-Isle doesn't have a "data management" policy as of yet. Two of our policies do touch on data, however: our confidentiality policy and our privacy policy. We have talked internally for a while now about creating a data governance board that could provide oversight and assist with decision-making, but have not yet made much headway. We have a bit of an informal data governance group (basically the folks that are brought into a decision when something arises), but it would be better to be more proactive. A lot of what we do is because "we've always done it that way" and is not based on being able to inform decisions down the road. Seattle Public Library has done some work along these lines so it might be good to reach out to them. David Christensen is a fellow RIPLer (is that what we call ourselves?!) and would be a good person to ask. 

Does anyone else work for an organization who has done something like this?
I just located this on our (Arapahoe Libraries) intranet but will keep looking, too:
"On November 13, 2018, our Board of Trustees adopted a new policy that was written in response to HB 18-1128 that went into effect September 1, 2018. HB 18-1128 creates new statutory requirements on covered entities, which includes governmental entities, to protect personal identifying information. One of these requirements is a written document disposal policy." Accordingly, we have3 this posted on our website: https://arapahoelibraries.org/library-po...formation/
I also found this wording on our intranet at Arapahoe Libraries:
"Decision Announcement: Data Strategy

Note: This Decision Announcement (DA) is an update to the original July 2016 DA published when the Digital Services master plan was first introduced, and we implemented OneLogin and Office 365.

We are a data-driven organization. Data comes to us in the form of staff questions and ideas, reporting on issues, and patron comments. To better manage this information, a data strategy team has been formed to guide how we turn insights gained from data into action. Consistently handling quality data will help us tell our organizational story and drive innovation.

How we manage data is being reviewed to improve workflow, visibility, and compliance. Our immediate goal is to compile data from the sorry/thanks log, patron comments, idea bank and Sysaid [our help desk ticketing system] into an integrated software platform with the intent to:
  • Minimize the number of places you must enter data
  • Provide you with feedback on the data you entered
  • Compile and share the data in one place to capture trends and turn them into action"
See decision announcement file attached.

Attached Files
.pdf   DA Data Strategy.pdf (Size: 245.74 KB / Downloads: 2)