Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome!
(02-20-2019, 03:08 PM)LindaHofschire Wrote: Hello!

Welcome to the RIPL Community of Practice forum for the Utah event. Please introduce yourself and post a brief description of your evaluation project in this thread.

I'm Linda Hofschire - I'm the director of the Colorado State Library's Library Research Service, and I'm one of the RIPL instructors.

Hi everyone,
My name is Patrick Hoecherl, I'm the Staff Development Coordinator at the Salt Lake City Public Library.
And I am Shelly Chapman the Human Resources Manager at the Salt Lake City Public Library.

Our RIPL project is assessing Substitute program. Our goals are to:
  • Determine how many substitutes we need on staff.
  • Determine the correct proportion of each job classification among substitutes.
  • Assess the cost benefit of increasing regular staff and decreasing substitutes.
  • Create a metric for measuring the effectiveness and quality of our substitutes.
  • Assess the optimal number of hours each substitute needs to work to retain their skills, stay current with updates and changes and remain engaged employees.
Hi, Evelyn Lindberg with the Washington State Library. We recently launched a new online resource, PrimarilyWashington.org back in June of 2018, where the goal is to link some of our digitized primary resources with created lesson plans for teachers across the state, who choose to do so, to use in their classrooms. It's a win - win situation for everyone, or is it? How would one know?  Sad What more might we do to assess this project, beyond looking at the numbers provided by google analytics?
Hi everyone.  My name is Jace Bunting, the finance manager for the Salt Lake City Public Library.  

My project is:  Could the Salt Lake City Public Library derive enough benefit from a procurement/contract officer to justify the cost of a new position?  The Library has a decentralized purchasing department.  Managers spend time during the budget process compiling estimates for their requests, and then spend additional time acquiring capital purchases, if approved.  Certain purchases go through an RFP or bid process, meaning that multiple people may be involved in writing and managing these processes.  In addition, ongoing contracts for various services need to be managed and updated.
Hello! My name is Tara Bartley, and I am the director at the Twin Falls Public Library in Twin Falls, Idaho. Twin Falls is the largest city (50,000) amongst a group of small, rural, agricultural towns.

The project I will be looking at involves our Outreach Department - primarily our bookmobile (purchased before my becoming director). We are starting our sixth year running the bookmobile, and we do not see overall success. I want to identify what “success” looks like in a town this size and what our next steps should be for the future of the bookmobile. Evaluating staff time, maintenance upkeep, and cost are all areas to assess.

Looking forward to meeting you all!
Hi all! I am Shauna Edson, the digital inclusion coordinator at the Salt Lake City Public Library. It is great to see all the different types of projects posted so far!

My project is to design the assessment and evaluation model for a new project, Show and Tech Kits (thank you Anthony White from the Arapahoe Library for the program idea and name). The project will lay out a timeline and flow chart for assessments and evaluation methods to determine if the project is meeting the original goals and outcomes: New technology may be out of price range and limited in supply, and playing with new and different technologies increases curiousness and relevancy of technology. The Library can engage our communities with new technologies, and stimulate conversations around technology, to teach patrons new and different ways they can engage with librarians in branches everyday. In addition to engaging librarians with the public and raising awareness of Library services, the outreach kit can be used to invite the public to participate in Library hosted conversations about technology.

An assessment and evaluation model for this project will include qualitative as well as quantitative data points, help the library determine how folks are learning and interacting with the technologies, and steer the direction for expanding this project as well as identify needs for other potential projects for the future.
Hi,

I'm Jennifer Briggs, Technology Coordinator for the Salt Lake City Public Library system.  Together with Gordon Bradberry, Assistant Director of IT & Facilities and  Frances Brummett, Circulation Manager, we are working on a project for central sortation.
Project Description: Assess moving from modified central sortation to full centralized sortation.  This may include modifying current equipment and work flows.  The goal is to reduce the statistical total number of touches items have before being in a customer's hands.  We are inspired by the FedEx model of transit.
Question/Problem statement:  What data is need to measure current process as well as the testing phase and new process?  What is the impact to our patrons if we change the sortation/delivery model?  We can capture data from the AMH, our ILS, delivery staff work hours and vehicle maintenance [mileage, gas, repairs]. 
Statement of Why: Why does the library need this answer/solution? What will the library be able to do after it has this answer/solution?
Our goal is reduce the amount of time overall on transport of materials, reduce the number of staff "touches" and still provide a quality experience for our customers.
Hi Everyone! My name is Marilee Moon and I am Assistant Director of Customer Service for the Salt Lake City Public Library System. I would like to explore ways to collect data regarding the experience that people are having with our library system, and then figure out best processes for assessing, evaluating, and using the information to create more positive experiences. In order to do this effectively, I think we will need to collect data from a variety of sources including paper comment forms, online reviews and comments forms, as well as capturing information from the people who are visiting the library on a daily basis.
Hey everyone! My name is Brooke Young and I am the manager of the Glendale branch in SLCPL system. The branch is a new branch- less than five years old and we are still figuring out our community and how to effectively promote library services to the adults in the surrounding area. I was talking to another manager who has a branch pretty close to ours, and the two of us would like to partner to create an robust outreach plan that specifically targets Spanish speakers in the zip code that our branch resides in (84104). We hope that we can use this conference to kick start some new services and some new ways of connecting with our patrons.

I am excited for this conference and to meet you all!
Greetings from Kansas,

My name is Patty Collins and I am a Consultant with the Central Kansas Library System.  I work with a team of 7 consultants assisting small and rural libraries in 17 counties in the heart of Kansas.  We provide education and training (and some financial assistance) to 54 public libraries and 9 volunteer run libraries who have no tax base or funding sources.   Throughout our service area there are only a handful of library staff with an MLS, although some do have some college.  Our goal is to give "boots on the ground what you really need to know today" kind of training.  

Each of our consultants has a specialty so we are able to divide and conquer as we train library staff in all areas of librarianship.  My specialty is Youth Services and Programming.  

Our director, Gail Santy, who will be joining us in Salt Lake, has set forth a new strategic plan for our building.  (Our last strategic plan was mediocre at best and did not really address what our stakeholders needed, but more what we could provide.  Neither of us had real input into the past plan.)  Gail and I will focus our energy on developing a tool to help us determine the questions we really need to be asking the librarians and trustees we serve.  It recently occurred to us that we are offering financial incentives, training opportunities and services that may not be what they really need.  It's time to right that wrong, hear from those we serve, and give us a direction for the future.  We understand the big task we have ahead, but are hoping RIPL might give us a jumpstart and some direction as to where we want to go and what means of data collection we will need to get us there.

Gail and I are looking forward to meeting and learning from all of your these next few days.  

Safe travels to all,
Patty Smile
Hello from snowy SW Colorado! My name is Lee Hallberg, I am the Executive Director of the Mancos Public Library in Mancos, CO. We are a small library district in a rural area, and serve a population of about 3,300 people.

We are in the process of renewing and reviewing our strategic plan, and have always received great response to our surveys from our regular library users. However, response from non-library users is minimal, and I would like to evaluate our outreach efforts in this area to determine how we might better reach these non-users and determine their needs so we can see if the library can more effectively serve them. I look forward to meeting you all this week!