Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome!
Hello!

Welcome to the RIPL Community of Practice forum for the Utah event. Please introduce yourself and post a brief description of your evaluation project in this thread.

I'm Linda Hofschire - I'm the director of the Colorado State Library's Library Research Service, and I'm one of the RIPL instructors.
I am the library director in Atlantic, IA, a city of about 7,000 people in southwest Iowa. The whole county has a population of about 12,000 and there are 5 other city libraries in the county. I am debating between two budget-driven evaluation projects: one is to evaluate the cost effectiveness of our online resources and the other is to evaluate the distribution of county funding across the 6 county libraries. I feel like I am already biased about county funding (my library isn't getting as much as it should...). I already have some pretty strong opinions and can't affect real change on my own. I would have to work with the county supervisors and the other library directors in the county. A little more about online resources: the previous director here set up a lot of new online services, some have taken off and others make me feel like I'm wasting money. Hoopla (pay per use) has really taken off and it's killing my budget line for digital services. I really need to address this sooner than later.
Hi everyone, my name is Christine Mathias, and I'm the director of the Placitas Community Library in New Mexico. We're a 501©(3) library running mainly on volunteers and donations. We receive very little funding from the state/county, and I'm the only paid employee.

One of our biggest challenges is communication, both within our organization of about 100 volunteers, and to our community,  many of which do not have reliable access to the internet. I would like to evaluate the effectiveness of our communication efforts, some of which includes social media, newsletters, press releases, and information shared in the library.
Hello, my name is Mara (rhymes with Sara) Strickler, I'm the Director of Algona Public Library in Kossuth County, Iowa . The City, which is the County seat, has a population of approximately 5,000, while the County has a population of about 15,000. It is a rural area and, in terms of area, Kossuth is the largest County in Iowa.

I would like to evaluate the technology needs and interests of our community. I'm interested in learning what services, online resources, and electronic devices the community would like to see offered. Regarding current resources that seem underused, I'm curious to learn whether we need to promote them differently or whether our patrons are not interested in those particular products. I'd like more information on what technological resources would have the highest interest from our patrons in order to inform budget planning and implementation of online resources.

I'm looking forward to meeting each of you next month!
(02-20-2019, 03:08 PM)LindaHofschire Wrote: Hello!

Welcome to the RIPL Community of Practice forum for the Utah event. Please introduce yourself and post a brief description of your evaluation project in this thread.

I'm Linda Hofschire - I'm the director of the Colorado State Library's Library Research Service, and I'm one of the RIPL instructors.

Hello from Colorado! I'm Rochelle Logan, a library consultant and trainer. I am one of your instructors at RIPL and am looking forward to meeting you all.
My name is Lori Holewinski and I am in a new position at my library. The Deputy Director of Impact position was created after our last strategic planning process identified data-driven decision making as a priority. Hamilton East is made up of two similarly sized libraries in a suburban area northeast of Indianapolis Indiana. We have 90,000 card holders and a service area population of approximately 156,000 (2016 estimated). The project I would like to work on is identifying methods for evaluating  the effectiveness of a diversity initiative we have just strated.
Thumbs Up 
(02-22-2019, 05:29 PM)mstrickler Wrote: Hello, my name is Mara (rhymes with Sara) Strickler, I'm the Director of Algona Public Library in Kossuth County, Iowa . The City, which is the County seat, has a population of approximately 5,000, while the County has a population of about 15,000. It is a rural area and, in terms of area, Kossuth is the largest County in Iowa.
Yay! Another Iowan! I look forward to meeting you.
My name is Norma Fowler, and I'm a library development consultant at the Nevada State Library. I hope to learn ways to help our Nevada libraries use data when making decisions, and I want to evaluate one of the state library's statewide projects to see if it's the best use of our funds. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
My name's Ian Holmes and I'm the Adult Services Librarian/Adult Programming Coordinator at the Poudre Library District in Fort Collins, CO. Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting started. I'm working on a large scale evaluation plan for our adult programming and I'd like to dial in recognizing and defining our communities.
Hi Everyone,

I'm Peter Bromberg, Director of the Salt Lake City Public Library.  We're so excited to host this RIPL Regional Conference!  

I attended the full RIPL conference in Atlanta this summer and also wore the hats of panel presenter, breakout session presenter, and facilitator.  It was the single best professional development experience of my life -- you all are in for a treat!  I will again be helping to facilitate during the RIPL Regional workshop next week.  

Project Description:

Data collection and analysis that would help us understand the information needs and behavior patterns of customers at our various service points to help us better align staffing at those points. The data collection could include recording and time-stamping every question at every service point in Main and/or other locations for a limited period of time (1-4 weeks?)  The analysis could include staff coding the questions to determine the type of question (directional, ready ref, in-depth ref, computer instruction, etc.) and the knowledge level required to answer the question.  

Question/Problem Statement:

What is the appropriate level (i.e. education and training) of staff and service model (desk? roving?) needed to provide excellent service to our customers?  By tracking the types of questions we get at our service points, and time/day-stamping when the questions are received, we will be better able to determine the level of staff needed (Assistant, Associate, or Librarian), and also determine whether certain service points are staffed appropriately (i.e. over or understaffed.)  We also be able to determine whether certain service points can be eliminated, and whether a roving or greeting model may better serve customer needs

Statement of Why: Why does the library need this answer/solution? What will the library be able to do after it has this answer/solution?

Addressing the problem statement will allow us to utilize our staff more efficiently, potentially saving $$, while also providing a better customer experience.

Looking forward to seeing you all in SLC!
Peter Bromberg
Executive Director
Salt Lake City Public Library 
pbromberg@slcpl.org 
801-524-8201