Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Book Recommendations from the RIPL Team
Here are some recommended books from the RIPL Team: 

The Accidental Data Scientist
Evaluation Essentials
The Quality Infrastructure: Measuring, Analyzing, and Improving Library Services
Managing With Data: Using ACRLmetrics and PLAmetrics
[/url][url=http://www.worldcat.org/title/keeping-up-with-the-quants-your-guide-to-understanding-and-using-analytics/oclc/806431659&referer=brief_results]Keeping Up With the Quants: Your Guide to Understanding and Using Analytics
Data Fluency: Empowering Your Organization With Effective Data Communication
Assessing Information Needs
Assessing Service Quality
Evaluating the Impact of Your Library

What data and evaluation books do you recommend?
If I could only have one book, I think this would be it: The Quality Toolbox from ASQ Quality Press.
(07-09-2018, 11:39 AM)jane.martel Wrote: If I could only have one book, I think this would be it: The Quality Toolbox from ASQ Quality Press.

Wow! That's going on my must read list. Thanks, Jane (Did you mean one book period or just one book about data? Smile )

Thanks for doing this, Linda! I will look forward to building my data bibliography (You know someone must be a librarian if they link books to WorldCat rather than Amazon or Goodreads Smile ) -- Here are a couple maybe unconventional titles to add to the list:

Good Strategy/Bad Strategy, by Richard P. Rumelt [More about strategy than data per se but one of his key points is about how good strategy must be driven by carefully chosen data sets]

Moneyball, by Michael Lewis [About how the "numbers collected over the years by a strange brotherhood of amateur baseball enthusiasts: software engineers, statisticians, Wall Street analysts, lawyers, and physics professors" made winners out of the Oakland A's]

Big Data Baseball, by Travis Sawchik [Takes Moneyball to the next level; attributes the end of the Pittsburgh Pirates 20-year losing streak to applying "actionable insights" discovered through analysis of big data; the story is as much about how you gain buy-in from people who initially are quite skeptical -- in this case, the players.]

Underground Culinary Tour, by Damian Mogavero [i]

[i]Trying Hard is Not Good Enough
, [/i]by Mark Friedman [an oldie but a goodie from 2005 -- for one thing, does a nice job of describing the inter-relationship between the objectives of an individual organization and community impact; subtitle: "How to produce measurable improvements for customers and communities][/i]
I just finished The Three Box Solution - interesting read if you are in any form of organizational change management. And, you will learn more than you may have wanted to about Keurig coffee machines!
Denise Davis, Strategic Initiatives Manager, Allen County Public Library (IN)

Title: The three box solution : a strategy for leading innovation
Author: Govindarajan, Vijay.
Publisher: Boston : Harvard Business Review Press, [2016]
ISBN: 9781633690141
OCLC: ocn922454251
Physical Description: 240 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
Publication Date: 2016