RIPL Community of Practice
Intros and Evaluation Project - Printable Version

+- RIPL Community of Practice (https://ripl.lrs.org/cop)
+-- Forum: Research Institute for Public Libraries (https://ripl.lrs.org/cop/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: RIPL Events (https://ripl.lrs.org/cop/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Ohio (https://ripl.lrs.org/cop/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Thread: Intros and Evaluation Project (/showthread.php?tid=320)

Pages: 1 2

Intros and Evaluation Project - LindaHofschire - 04-23-2018

Hello!

Welcome to the RIPL Community of Practice forum for the Ohio event. Please introduce yourself and post a brief description of your evaluation project in this thread.

I'm Linda Hofschire - I'm the director of the Colorado State Library's Library Research Service, and I'm one of the RIPL instructors.

RE: Intros and Evaluation Project - hjensen - 04-26-2018

Hello All -

My evaluation project is "How to market the Library (externally), with the most impact, on a smaller budget".

Heather Jensen, Director of the Ashland Public Library.

RE: Intros and Evaluation Project - beth.hatch@perry.lib.oh.us - 04-26-2018

Hi, my name is Beth Hatch. I am the director of Perry Public Library in Perry, Ohio in Lake County. After taking some time to consider and painfully trying to narrow down what I might be able to work on during the retreat, I decided to conduct a time study of reference staff. I am interested in staffing optimization. The key priorities are to ensure adequate staffing to accommodate excellent customer service and programming, and collection development, as well as attracting and retaining quality staff who are hardworking and innovative.

What is critical for me to know? What are their current responsibilities / workload and potential future responsibilities; possible opportunities for outsourcing (processing materials and helpers for craft prep, etc.), current workflow and desk coverage; potential retirements / turnover rates; budget constraints.

What could I potentially work on during the retreat: a time study of reference staff.

* Off desk and on desk time spent

* Responsibilities

RE: Intros and Evaluation Project - libraryrochelle - 04-27-2018

(04-23-2018, 08:57 AM)LindaHofschire Wrote: Hello!

Welcome to the RIPL Community of Practice forum for the Ohio event. Please introduce yourself and post a brief description of your evaluation project in this thread.

I'm Linda Hofschire - I'm the director of the Colorado State Library's Library Research Service, and I'm one of the RIPL instructors.

Hello from Colorado! I'm Rochelle Logan, a library consultant and trainer. I am one of your instructors at RIPL and am looking forward to the trip to Ohio and meeting you all.

RE: Intros and Evaluation Project - Kimberly Garrett - 04-30-2018

Hello. My name is Kimberly Garrett, and I'm the Director for the Kinsman Free Public Library. We are a small, rural library. We recently started a Technology Education program, and I would like to assess the technology needs of my community so that we may design our technology education classes and services to meet those needs. So, my evaluation project will be to conduct a technology needs assessment of my community.

RE: Intros and Evaluation Project - Trent Ross - 04-30-2018

Hello, my name is Trent Ross. I am the Deputy Director of the suburban Rocky River Public Library.  My project will be evaluating a new Fine Free Summer program we are trying out this year.  In addition to our annual Food for Fines program in June, we are going fine-free for two months.  Materials returned in July and August will not be assessed any overdue fines.  I'm interested in measuring "cost," impact, and gaining community feedback.

RE: Intros and Evaluation Project - cmay - 05-01-2018

Hi all,

My project will be to look at our library's collection.  Specifically, I want to look at three aspects:

- Budget for different types of materials
- Number of items currently in our collection for each type
- Circulation on said materials

We've tweaked our purchasing habits over the past year, but I feel like it's making it up as we go and simply responding to what is happening in that moment.  I want to take a more in-depth look at our collection.  I've been telling staff that our customers are trying to tell us what they want, so let's try to give it to them!

Chris May
Director
Mansfield/Richland County Public Library

RE: Intros and Evaluation Project - jcarle - 05-02-2018

Hi!  I'm Jane Carle and I am the Director of the Kirtland Public Library.  We recently ( about 6 months ago) began processing U.S. Passports.  We seem do process quite a few -- and I'd like to evaluate the cost benefit to the Library.

RE: Intros and Evaluation Project - rossma - 05-02-2018

Hello! I'm Matthew Ross, Director of the Tiffin-Seneca Public Library. We are a mid-sized, suburban library--although that may be stretching the definition of "suburban" a bit geographically. 

I'd like to study the cost of various reference categories of reference desk transactions. I feel like we have some really talented people working that service point who might be able to offer more value to the community if we emphasized different tasks. This study would be a step towards understanding what a very traditional approach to the desk actually costs us. The study would offer a financial perspective, but what I would love to do, ultimately, is find a way to measure the opportunity costs of allocating staff time they way we currently do.

RE: Intros and Evaluation Project - bhare - 05-08-2018

Hi Everyone,

My name is Brian Hare and I am the director at Reed Memorial Library in Ravenna, OH.  

For my project, I have quite a few options to choose from as we are working through our new strategic plan and identified a lot of activities to complete.  I would be interested to hear from the Colorado Library staff about which of these might be best suited for the assignment:

•  Improve technical services workflow - remove unnecessary steps and optimize current process
•  Desk coverage analysis - making sure we have the appropriate number of staff at the desk when they are needed
•  Evaluate our process for purchasing programming supplies

I'm looking forward to next week.